Why use groups?
Groups are used when you have several classes and you want to filter your activities and gradebook so you only see one class at a time.
Step 1: Open Moodle Course
Open the course to add groups. Important Note: Students must be enrolled into course before creating groups.
Step 2: Access Group Settings
Click on 'Participants' button located on the left side of the menu. On the page click the gear and select Groups.
Step 3: Create Group
Click on 'Create Group', name the group, and select 'Save Changes'. Optional: description (displayed above the list of group members on the participants page), enrollment key and picture (displayed on the participants page and next to forum posts
Step 4: Add Users to Group
Select the group to which you want to add participants, then click the 'Add/remove users' button.
- In the "Potential members" list, select the users you want to add to the group and Click the 'Add' button to add the users to the group. Multiple users may be selected using the Crtl key.
- Type in user name to look up student and click the 'Add' button.
Step 5: Setup Group Mode
Go to edit settings of the course and scroll down to groups. Select one of the groups modes.
There are three group modes
- No groups - There are no sub groups, everyone is part of one big community
- Separate groups - Each group can only see their own group, others are invisible.
- Visible groups - Each group works in their own group, but can also see other groups. (The other groups' work is read-only.)
Step 6: Restricting Activities
- To be able to restrict an activity, resource or course topic to a group, Restrict access must be enabled. This will result in a 'Restrict access' section in the activity, resource or topic settings and a group restriction can then be added.